Friday, July 13, 2007

prelude

As part of the 39th Auckland IFF, La Cellule d'Intervention Metamkine will be performing their Lettrist experiments and live celluloid transformations tonight. I'm intrigued by the tantalising images on their site - I think I'm going for this.

As always, there's several films on the programme this year which I'll be seeing over the next two weeks (while taking no time off work, by the way), but, strangely, few which I'm truly excited about. I think I'll get into the swing of the festival once the actual encounters with the films begin... Bitter disappointment over the films that were surely left out to make room for the many hip documentaries and audience favourites that decorate the programme has by now subsided and given way to an anxiousness over keeping up the energy levels (what's Olaf Möller's secret when it comes to this?!) to experience whatever is screening - Killer of Sheep, for instance, with Charles Burnett in attendance (that alone makes up for any programming fuck-ups this year). Also on the bright side, the festival's more experimental selections continue to impress: along with Metamkine, there's a selection of films by Leighton Pierce, a handful by Danny Williams, and perhaps a couple others which I have to look into. Plus Weerasethakul, Jia, Oliveira, Lynch, Ferran, Serra, Van Sant, Sissako... OK, so maybe now I'm getting excited... In the meantime, I've just received a package from a cine-comrade (to borrow a term from Zach Campbell) containing the latest works by Ossang and Noureddine, so perhaps, if time allows, I'll watch these soon and tell myself they also screened at the festival. Just as long as I'm not betrayed by my inertia...

0 Comments:

Post a Comment

<< Home

Subscribe to Posts [Atom]