Wednesday, August 16, 2006

girl, boy, song.

Some of the most beautiful moments in the rain in all of cinema, with Raj Kapoor and Nargis (no need for subtitles) :

'Pyar Hua Iqrar Hua' from Shree 420 (Raj Kapoor, 1955)


Three or four YouTube users have been devotedly uploading some really awesome (albeit, mostly unsubtitled) classic Bollywood songs. I've been discovering and rediscovering these treasures over the past few days and links to the ones I love the most are listed below (quite a few I know, but they're really must-sees if you, for instance, liked the Kapoor/Nargis song above). Enjoy!
Oh, and I caught Karan Johar's latest blockbuster, Kabhi Alvida Naa Kehna (a.k.a. Never Say Goodbye, a.k.a. um, KANK) over the weekend, my first theatrical Bollywood experience in over 18 months. I'd almost forgotten that watching a masala film with a huge crowd which is totally into the film is such a thrilling experience, what with the collective roars of laughter, gasps, catcalls, sobs, etc. The film itself felt as if the secret love child of Silsila and Kal Ho Naa Ho threw up all over it, but at least you get to see the otherwise-rather-stiff Rani Mukherji as a dominatrix and the curiously underused Arjun Rampal as the film's silent loser.

2 Comments:

Blogger Zach Campbell said...

What's funny is that I noticed some of these Bollywood clips recently myself, and almost included one from Devdas. (I would have really liked the theme that opens Kaagaz Ke Phool, but ...)

I can't wait to finally see Pakeezah.

1:55 PM  
Blogger Mubarak Ali said...

Kaagaz Ke Phool has some truly outstanding music, especially the climactic 'Waqt ne kiya'. I don't have a copy of the film at the moment, but the next time I get hold of it, I'll try to upload the song on YouTube.

(By the way, have you seen Vijay Bhatt's Baiju Bawra from 1952? It's the last great Bollywood film I saw, some weeks ago already, a rambling folkloric narrative, but totally enchanting and in its own way, one of the darkest Bollywood films of its time, along with Pyaasa. It's Netflix-able, apparently.)

1:51 PM  

Post a Comment

<< Home

Subscribe to Posts [Atom]