Sunday, October 30, 2005

randomness and brevity

- I'm counting on this to amuse/frighten me (and a couple others) a bit on Halloween night (looks very similar to Argento's awesome Opera, which may turn out to be a good thing). Also rented Night of the Creeps, Häxan, etc.

- Despite a huge pile of stuff sitting right next to me, I haven't seen a film for like, six days. I feel hollow.

- Caveh Zahedi's In the Bathtub of the World has been on my mind though. I realise I didn't say anything about it last week probably because I was too pissed off at his thoroughly shocking and disgusting I Was Possessed By God, but Bathtub deserves more than a nod because it manages to transcend its grainy year-long-video-diary surface and extend into (as Michael Sicinski points out in his letter to Zahedi) a Pialat-oid series of calibrated ellipses that punctuate deeply personal incidences, emotional nakedness, and general hysteria. Warhol would be a more obvious (and possibly unconscious) influence - I was reminded of Beauty #2 whenever Zahedi pointed his camera toward his shy girlfriend. In the end, Zahedi may be a bored narcissist with a camera, but the intellectual and emotional involvement of this document of his cannot be ignored.

- Claire Denis' L'Intrus is coming to DVD in December through Tartan! Of all the films I saw this year, if there's any that I'd love to experience again, it's this dream of a film - possibly Denis' best work so far.

- in music this week: Ghost's Snuffbox Immanence and Lama Rabi Rabi (the latter is a particular favourite of mine), Dungen's Ta Det Lugnt, Linda Perhacs' Parallelograms, and lots of Cocteau Twins.

2 Comments:

Blogger Martin Degrell said...

Great to hear that L'Intrus comes out soon - can't wait to see it again. As you know, I wasn't as extatic about it as you were, but I'm hoping a second (and third) viewing will make the enigmatic themes somewhat clearer - which isn't to say I need a blow-by-blow explanation. It's by far Denis' most fragmented piece yet.

12:57 PM  
Blogger Mubarak Ali said...

Indeed. And I hope she provides some kind of commentary too - I love listening to her. Her commentary for the Friday Night DVD (with Kent Jones) is pretty entertaining. Not to mention, it made me get up and finally rent One From the Heart.

4:42 AM  

Post a Comment

<< Home

Subscribe to Posts [Atom]